Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My journey (so far)...

Before I turn this into a full-blown fitness blog (I promise I'll still do outfit posts and inspiration), I figure I better tell my story!

My journey began back in May of 2013 when my husband left for Afghanistan. I always set goals for myself for deployments because they help the time fly by a little faster. Plus, I like to make my man proud of me and not make it seem as if all I've done was spend his money and sit on the couch. I started slowly, cutting out soda and fast food and hitting up the gym a couple times a week if I had time. I was so unhappy with my body but not really willing to make a big life change. I thought I could do 45 (ok, it was usually 30) minutes on the elliptical and call it a day, then go home and have a beer or two with dinner. I wondered why I didn't lose any weight or see any change in my body or my mood.

It wasn't until I moved to Minnesota and got a membership at the local YMCA (shoutout to the Y for giving military families of deployed soldiers free memberships, you guys are AWESOME) when I really started changing things up. I started going 3 times a week and even trying a class here and there. I quickly realized how much I looooved the high I got after a good workout. After speaking to a friend of mine who is a total guru and inspiration to me, I decided that I needed to start incorporating more strength training into my regimen. I started lifting weights and signed up for TRX which is an amazing workout! Along with working out steadily, I completely changed up my diet. I cut out processed food (that includes "low calorie" and "low fat" foods) and started eating as cleanly as possible. It's been a challenge, but I find it fun to read ingredients and find new ways to fuel my body. Not easy but totally worth it!

I have noticed small changes in the way I look, but the way I feel has done a 180. I have more energy, my anxiety levels are so much lower, and I have my self-confidence back.

I'm nowhere near the end of this journey, nor do I think I will ever be, but I am well on my way! I'm not a fitness expert, nor will I ever claim to be, but I am slowly learning the ropes and figuring out what works best for my body!

Here I am around March of 2013:

And this is October of 2013:

So that's where I'm at as of present day-a long ways to go, but definitely better than where I began! 




No comments:

Post a Comment