...I think I just heard the collective groan from a lot of you. Valentine's Day seems to divide the country. You either love it, and go all out with the mushiness, or you despise it and refuse to celebrate it in any way. I'm one of the (seems to be) few who love V-Day. You should have seen the care pack I sent my husband. It looks like St. Valentin threw up in a flat rate box. I decorate the entire thing with stickers, scrapbook paper, and pictures of us. I topped it off with perfume scented rose petals, sealed it up, and sent it on it's merry way. He's going to just love it. Last year, we spent Valentine's Day in the Fort Drum Inn, eating cold steak from Applebee's takeout off of plastic plates. I think I downed an entire bottle of sparkling apple juice, in an effort to feel like I was drinking some sort of alcohol (I was 6 months pregnant). I'm not complaining, I just think we could have had a more romantic day-although looking back, I probably wouldn't change a thing. On second though, I'd fast forward through listening to our neighbors enjoy a nice romp in the sack. Yeah, I could have gone without that. Anyways, since J isn't going to be here this year, I'm celebrating with my miniature Romeo instead, and that's fine with me, but he doesn't really appreciate a good outfit (although as I write this, he's playing with the VS Swim catalog...). I can't lie when I say I'd rather go back two years and be celebrating V-Day with my hubs in Nashville, but I suppose we always have next year-Valentine's Day in NYC maybe? Alright, enough rambling and onto the reason for this post, and giving you another reason to moan-L-I-N-G-E-R-I-E. Ok, don't cring just yet, it doesn't have to be so scary, although I know it can be when you walk into Victoria's Secret and are surrounded by lace, satin, and some sort of weird polyester blend (that you can't imagine EVER wearing). Lingerie is supposed to be FUN, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert, so let's dive in together, shall we? I'll break it down by body type and try to post as many separates as I can so you can mix and match (since I know that not one of us is built the same)!
1. If you're curvy: Go for full coverage. I'm not talking a mumu here, I'm talking something that FITS well and gives you support. You've got the knockers, make sure they're comfy and cozy in a well fitting bra. They'll look (and you'll feel) amazing if they're fully supported instead of sagging in some piece of junk bra. The Victoria's Secret Body by Victoria Full Coverage Bra retails for $45 and is pretty enough that it can not only be worn for Valentine's Day, but also the other 364 days of the year. The Satin and Lace Full Figure Bra ($34) is super pretty too. Can we say VIXEN?! I personally feel that when it comes to panties (blech, I HATE that word), the more you cover, the sexier you look. I'm not a big fan of skimpy thongs only because I'd like to hide my cottage cheese butt instead of accentuating it. I love the old school pinup look of these Amazing Lace Panties from Frederick's. They're on sale for $14.99 too, so pick up a few pairs! If you have an hourglass figure, I think this "skong" (which is just a thong with a skirt over it) would look AMAZEBALLS. Seriously. Your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee/husband/wife won't be able to take their eyes off you. Check it out at Fredericks by clicking here. Frederick's of Hollywood Erika Babydoll retails for only $20 and has the perfect amount of coverage for my full-chested friends. Did I do ok? You still with me? Let's move on...
2. If you want to hide a belly: There are TONS of options out there for hiding a belly. I was so self-conscious after having Liam that the thought of prancing around in a bra and thong made me blush. I couldn't imagine my poor husband getting turned on at all by the sight of my flabby, stretched out tummy. Thank jeebus for the teddys I had stocked up on beforehand, or he may not have gotten any lovins' for a looong time. This Lace Back Slip ($35) from VS would be perfect to hide a little imperfection. The lace on the bottom as well as the top will draw the eye up AND down, taking the focus off your midsection. It's a really pretty color as well, it cheers me up just LOOKING at it! You can't go wrong with a corset either. That puppy is going to suck everything in AND up. The simple, classic design of the Uptown Twill Corset from Frederick's ($54) is perfect for hiding your flaws-although I'm sure they're all in your head. Now, when you first look at this, you may not think it's sexy, but ask any man and they will tell you that the sight of you in one of their t-shirts gives them an insta-boner (totally inappropriate, I know). I love the menswear inspired look of this pj set from VS, and it's simple and comfy enough that you can wear it all the time. I would personally get 'em in the Light Pink.
3. If you want to fake cleavage: Finally, my forte. I've spent my entire adult life faking it (I'm talking about my boob size here, NOT something else). I've tried pushup bras, inserts, and even the ol' twist tie around your straps trick, but at the end of the day, I was still an A-cup. Thankfully I married an ass man (or so he tells me), so I've started to focus more on THAT asset as opposed to my chest that resembles a 12 year old boy. I think that this Lacie Bustle-back Slip ($48) would help to put the focus on my bum-bum, and would do a good job of hiding the cottage cheese I mentioned above as well. I like. I like A LOT. I read in a men's column that a triangle top is best for small busts, and although I don't necessarily agree with that 100%, I suppose we are one of the few body types who can get away with wearing something that offers zero support. The lacy one from Frederick's is adorable and would look so cute in pink. Check it out here ($26). I love me some animal print (in a bad way), so this Sexy Little Things Balconet Pushup Bra from VS ($36.50) is PERFECT! I love the look of the neon colors with the leopard print. It's playful but still sexy. Plus, I think it would help push the girls up a titch. There are SO MANY different styles of pushup bras from VS, so check them out. The Very Sexy bra works wonders too, just sayin'. ;)
4. You're athletic: BOYSHORTS, BOYSHORTS, BOYSHORTS! They will accentuate that perfect little butt that you've worked so hard for (and that I secretly am envious of). All guys love boyshorts, so you don't even need to wear a shirt (although if you choose to, a lacy or satiny cami will do the trick). I LOVE the Sequin Back Hiphugger from VS ($12.50)! They're sassy and sexy and will definitely make a statement! Look for bottoms that say cheeky things or have some sort of flirty design on them. These Lace Trim Cheeky Panties are adorable as well. And cupcakes? Droolworthy. I have the CUTEST idea in my head for a photoshoot revolving around me. I see a kitchen, a mixer, and lots of cake mix. Caaaaaayute. Last but not least, ruffles on the butt will make it look smokin' hot. I have a pair similiar to these and the hubs loves 'em. They do wonders. Frederick's has a pair for $18! Click here to see 'em.
5. Everyone else: Alright, I know there is no way that I posted something that everyone would be comfortable in, but I tried my best. The best thing to do is to quit being uncomfortable and just head to your nearest lingerie store and take a gander. The salespeople (well SOME of them) are lingerie experts and it's their job to help you out and give you tips and tricks. It's important for you to be comfortable in what you wear because comfortable=sexy and you can't feel sexy in something you feel weird in. If worse comes to worse and you can't seem to find anything, grab a button up, some cotton panties (there's that word again) and make an entrance a la Risky Business.